This is so good:
How to be an Explorer of the World
1. Always be looking (notice the ground beneath your feet).
2. Consider everything alive & animate.
3. Everything is interesting. Look closer.
4. Alter your course often.
5. Observe for long durations (and short ones).
6. Notice the stories going on around you.
7. Notice patterns. Make connections.
8. Document your findings (field notes) in a variety of ways.
9. Incorporate indeterminacy.
10. Observe movement.
11. Create a personal dialogue with your environment. Talk to it.
12. Trace things back to their origins.
13. Use all of the senses in your investigations.
~ Keri Smith, How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life Museum